(September 26, 2020) – This October, celebrate the night sky all month long during the Hill Country Alliance’s inaugural Hill Country Night Sky Month! Created to bring awareness to the importance of night sky preservation in the Texas Hill Country, Hill Country Night Sky Month will feature events and activities across the Hill Country for night sky lovers of all ages.
The Hill Country Alliance (HCA) is joined by partners and night sky champions across the region for a month of virtual events, activities, art, games, competitions, proclamations and other ways to expand the joys and benefits of dark night skies – all COVID-safe and health aware. Partners and night sky champions are taking actions during Hill Country Night Sky Month, such as:
- pursuing proclamations from their county judge, commissioners, city mayors, school districts and other groups interested in supporting the cause
- creating opportunities for local policy updates and lighting improvement projects
- engaging the media and using social media to expand interest in night sky preservation
- educating the public about the night sky and promoting night sky awareness in creative ways
- hosting events such as star parties, contests, educational activities and more
You can join in on the fun by participating in the many events that will be held throughout the Hill Country region.
The Hill Country Alliance is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to raise public awareness and build community support around the need to preserve the natural resources and heritage of the Central Texas Hill Country. Visit us at www.hillcountryalliance.org.